Sunday, September 14, 2008

True Lies

Lying has been on a mind lately. Not the telling of lies, but dealing with them.

I'm sure some of you have heard about the "Healer" thing. Or the Ray Boltz thing. If you don't walk in certain Christian circles, these things mean nothing to you. That's okay.

I'm not angry. I have no right to be angry. I'm just burdened, sitting back and watching God's children suffer. I don't know what it's like to live a lie. I've told lies, but never defined myself by an untruth.

I'm not easily shocked by imperfection. I expect mankind to be a big jumbled mess of screwed-up-ness. Not that I'm pessimistic, just very aware that this world is broken. And maybe because I'm preparing for a quasi-friend (someone for whom lies come all too easy) to see her world crash down on her, taking out a lot of innocent victims in the process, I am all the more ready to love a man who hit rock bottom first. (I wish I could elaborate, but she's literate. And this is cyberspace, where my words can live forever. And I don't think that her reading about herself here will be all that productive.)

I just pray that her lies will unravel into truth. Somehow.

It's easy for me to forgive Mike Guglielmucci. Sure, his cancer story moved me, but I wasn't personally connected or harmed by his tale. It's his wife I'm broken for. His family. Maybe it's so black-and-white for me because there is no course of action beyond choosing to love and forgive. Were he to walk through my door this evening, I would offer him tea, sit on the floor with him (more comfy than my little couch), and just listen and let him cry.

And while I can extend grace to a stranger, the real challenge comes when I'm face-to-face with a calculated falsehood that could obliterate the unsuspecting. Will it be as easy when it gets personal? When its time for fecoventilatory collision? When I may be called to participate in the cleanup?

I do believe that Mike Guglielmucci's lyrics still ring true. And that God doesn't walk away just because we do. I believe that a new kind of healing will come. One of heart and mind. One of eternal consequence.

Just because Mike was living a lie when he wrote it, I cannot say that God had nothing to do with his song.

I believe You're my Healer
I believe You are all I need

I believe You're my Portion
I believe You're more than enough for me
Jesus, You're all I need

1 comment:

kyles anima said...

great thoughts!