Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Speak For Me

I will blog about my fantastic weekend tomorrow. In the meantime, know that the above photo pretty much sums it up: perfect. (And yes, I took the picture. I'm working on my photography skills).

A few months ago, I started writing a blog post about the word "safe." About how I wanted to be safe without playing it safe. But I managed to lose any skill for articulateness. And so it remained unpublished. And then today, I came across the blog entry I wish I wrote. So please read about "safe" over at This Is REVERB. My head, his words.

Speaking of other people speaking for me....

Bruxy (my pastor) was awesome again this week. And totally identified a conversation I had a few weeks ago. He was talking about how men and women communicate differently, about how men carefully select their words and care about the definitions of the those words. And how for women, verbal precision is less important than the process.

This was the conversation:
ME: Blah, blah, blah, heart-on-sleeve, blah, blah, big sweeping statement, blah, blah, too much information, blah, blah, everything in my head....

HIM: This. Is. Exactly. What. I. Want. You. To. Understand.
I walk away, thinking we've had a heart-to-heart. Days later, I get an email from HIM: "I've been thinking about what you said...."

Exactly as Bruxy described, the words and their definitions mattered to HIM. For ME, the processing aloud was the point, not the specific sentences.

Church is relevant. Who woulda thunk it?

No comments: