Saturday, May 03, 2008

The World Needs a Hero....

I've been on a documentary kick lately. Last night, I watch My Kid Could Paint That. It made me want to smush some paint around on a canvas and then pay off my student loans with its sale. It's funny how it's greater art because a kid did it. The moment skeptics accused her father of helping her, no one wanted to buy the paintings anymore. So it's only worth $25,000 because a 4-year-old's paintbrush touched it?

I'll never forget watching Super Size Me. I was oddly fascinated. Instead of repulsed, I found myself craving French fries. Hilariously, my family finished off an entire batch of cinnamon buns while watching. So much for being inspired to eat healthy. Right then, Morgan Spurlock became a bit of a filmmaking hero to me. He's not as abrasive as Michael Moore often is (although I loved Bowling for Columbine). Instead, he seems to approach the world with a wide-eyed curiosity that I find both compelling and endearing. And while I’m sure he has an agenda, I don’t feel assaulted with it.

He's back. And he's asking the very question that popped into my head while I was listening to the news on the radio last week: Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?

Taking a cue for the lone action hero of adventure films, he heads to the Middle East in search of the ultimate evildoer who, at times, seems to be almost forgotten despite the ongoing war that was started in his honor. I'm assuming Spurlock doesn't find him. (Unless the U.S. government has promised to keep his capture a secret until the film's release. Somehow I doubt it.)

It will be funny. It will probably make me think. The lines between good and evil may be blurred. The soundtrack will possibly allude to the Indiana Jones-esque heroes we expect to swoop in and save us from a terrorism showdown. And while I'll try to keep the cinnamon-bun consumption to a minimum, I fully anticipate craving the dangerous adventure he embarks on.

No comments: