Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Non-Moms: A Hollywood Mother's Day

Rory: One of the girls already hates me. The guys are weird.
Lorelai: Weirder than other guys?
Rory: Yeah, they kept calling me Mary.
Lorelai: You're kidding me. Wow, I can't believe they still say that.
Rory: Why? What does it mean?
Lorelai: It means like, Virgin Mary. It means they think you look like a goody-goody.
Rory: You're kidding.
Lorelai: No.
Rory: Well, what would they have called me if they thought I looked like a slut?
Lorelai: Well, they might have added a Magdalene to it.
Rory: Wow. Biblical insults. This is an advanced school.

~Gilmore Girls
Who hasn't had the above conversation with their mom?


Did you know that Lauren Graham (Lorelai) is not a mom? She was the wittiest mom is television history, but had no bratty children to practice her lines on: "I love my little circus freak."
Lorelai: Stop saying "mother" like that.
Rory: Like what?
Lorelai: Like there should be another word after it.


Equally interesting to me (and probably no one else), is that Bonnie Hunt doesn't have kids either. She's like the cinematic everymom, super-approachable and effortless to love. She does so well with the frenzy and the chaos, the juggling of huge family, career and dog. Beethoven, Cheaper By the Dozen, Life with Bonnie. It's all an act. I suppose that makes her an actor. I'm both impressed and slightly saddened. Not that I know her. But I think she'd be a cool mom.

Every once in a while, I think quietly to myself, "I wish I were Bonnie Hunt." Just a little career crush. Love her approachability. And smarts. And hilarity. And fictional marriage to Steve Martin (who also has no children. Weirdness). Plus, she was in Rain Man. I want to be in Rain Man. With a pre-crazy Cruise and an always-genius Hoffman.


Do you know who is a mom? (Dumbest question ever, considering my picture-posting habits.) Susan Sarandon. Do you know where I'm going with this post? Check out my little entry on this über-cool mom just in time for Mother's Day over at MovieZen.

And then rent Little Women.

No comments: