Friday, May 23, 2008

Jonah Envy?


Jonah Hill is my age. Actually, he's younger than me. He's been in 17 movies in the last four years. Most of them pretty big hits. And as part of the Judd Apatow gang (the brains behind 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall), he gets to hang out with his pals, abandon vanity for the sake of a laugh and rake in the dough. Pretty great gig if you can get it.

And now it looks like he'll be exercising his writing and producing powers in a film adaptation of the TV show that catapulted Mr. Depp to fame, 21 Jump Street. Yeah. The Johnny Depp. Jonah may be on the rise, but "heartthrob" isn't really his niche. So I'm assuming this will be a loose adaptation, if he should choose to cast himself.

Head over to MovieZen and read my thoughts on adapting TV shows for the big screen. As a general rule, DON'T DO IT.

I shall now go and ponder the great mystery of Hill's fame. And see if I can avoid envy while borrowing a little of his creative quirkiness for my own career....

I could totally be the stoner buddy in a movie. It's about time we saw a lazy girl deadpanning one-liners while her slightly less pathetic friends wins in love.

No comments: