Monday, September 11, 2006

The Circle of Life

A side note before I begin: My roommate in first year university and I had an ongoing argument about who was better, Elton John or Phil Collins. It all came down to The Lion King vs. Tarzan. Elton John is the right answer.

Second side note: Brad Pitt does not eat in the food court and Jude Law does not shop at Sears. No celeb sightings for me yet.

Back on track.

I bought glasses today. Again. This time, I went to the Bay. They don’t let you return your glasses. I figured that this was better for me. I don’t know if it’s the frustration with work or what, but lately I’ve found myself wound just a little too tight. I over-think, over-plan, second-guess and put far too much importance on inconsequential things. So I bit the bullet and bought a pair. I will wear them. They don’t look weird on me and I don’t look like I’m trying to be too hip or too geeky or too futuristic or too ancient. The frames also happened to be 50% off, allowing me to buy a brand I normally couldn’t afford to even try on. I’m one of those people who tend to be anti-brand, mostly out of budgetary necessity. I did manage to stay away from Gucci and Prada though (if the devil wears it, it probably won’t look good on me).

I was paying for my eyes (the lady put them as a rush order after she learned that I wanted to wear them to a movie premiere) when I heard an all-too-familiar voice next to me. The guy (I was going to call him a man, but I just can’t do it) who sold me my first pair of glasses at Lenscrafters (after walking away from me, insulting my budget and disagreeing with my choices) was applying for a job.

I’m trying to be more thankful. Today I was thankful that I bought glasses before the Bay hired a new salesman.

2 comments:

michael lewis said...

You must be joking?


There is no way that a story as good as this, with such an awesome plot twist, actually happened to you!!!!


(Must be my aura or karma or whatever, left some residue after I moved out of your parents basement, and when you were doing laundry or something, it infected you as well. Don't worry, it apparently wears off around 28 or 29. My life has been exceptionally boring and mundane for quite some time now.)

michael lewis said...

Oh goodness. My comment sounded horribly pretentious!

What I meant to communicate was something to the extent that this story is so unbelievable, it must be something you're working into a script.