Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Church and the Movies.

I hate going to church alone. I love going to the movies alone. On Sunday, I merged the two and went to The Meeting House. And you know what? I actually had a pretty great time. Of course, being the single girl all alone, the sermon would naturally be "Sex and Singleness." I have a lot of respect for a sermon that opens with the song "Let's Talk About Sex," and, in the course of the teaching, includes the phrase "crushing of testicles" without once sounding glib or immature. Yeah, Bruxy rocks. And for the first time since arriving in Toronto, I feel like my friends would actually enjoy themselves. Or at least not get the creeps. I guess the whole "church for people who aren't into church" thing is true. It was packed. And since the sermon was a part of a series, I'll be back next week. It's so refreshing to be enthusiastic about church again. And no, not just because it's about sex, people. Sheesh.

As someone who spends quite a bit of time at the movies, it was pretty powerful to be worshipping God in a theatre. It sort of put things in perspective for me; It's about God, not movies and dreams and Jake Gyllenhaal's eyebrows (see below). In fact, lately I've come to the realization that I could give it all up. I could drop the life I'm currently living/dreaming of in a heartbeat and follow God's leading anywhere. I just want to be where God wants me and who He wants me to be. Nothing else.

And then I hung around and saw Zodiac (which has nothing to do with astrology, for those who are anti-horoscope). It's long but completely worth the numb butt. There's something very intriguing about a film that's based on case files. Yes, case files. It's a true story that's never really been resolved, so the film can't go there. Highly recommended. Not scary, but captivating. And do I really look like Chloe Sevigny? I guess if my hair was long, blonde and stringy...

8 comments:

Beth said...

my church meets at a movie theatre too!

kudos on the realization that you really are willing to leave it all. i don't know if i'm there, although it would be nice to say it. maybe i am and don't know it? how do you even know these things, unless you're in that place?

anyway. i don't know who chloe sevigny is, surprisingly, but i'm sure you're prettier. and funnier.

Beth said...

ps - you need to publicize your blog more widely so that i don't come across as such a stalker. i think i comment more than anyone, even your dad.

nadine said...

Beth, you're my favourite stalker. Ever. And yes, I need to spread the blog love...

~drea said...

sorry I've been neglecting your blog, I will try to be more stalkerish.
A.

nadine said...

Thanks, Andrea :)

When are you coming back? I'd like to hang out with my stalker...

~drea said...

It looks as though this stalker may be back in town as early as May.. keep your fingers crossed that I get the job I'm hoping for :)

can't wait for walks around the city and movie nights.. gosh it was silly we didn't do it more often when we lived in the same town.. alas the past can't be changed but the future may be molded!

love ya
A.

nadine said...

I didn't know what I had 'til you were gone :) You bet we'll be hanging out. I like walking and movies. And walking to the movies. And May happens to have pretty great weather for that....

What job?

~drea said...

It's a proofreading job, for Canada newswire. They sent me an email recently and they want to meet me, so i guess that means I'm getting an interview!! Which is awesome!